Lasik eye surgery
Lasik eye surgery is a kind of a refractive surgery or a surgical procedure which is used to correct vision and reduce dependence on prescription glasses or lenses. LASIK is basically a laser procedure which corrects nearsightedness, farsightedness and astigmatism. In this procedure a thin flap of the cornea is created by making use of a microkeratome blade or a femtosecond flap. What the surgeon does is that he folds back the flap and removes some corneal tissue under the excimer laser. Then the flap is laid back in its place and thus covers the area from where the tissue was removed. To know more about the procedure and its details, you can refer to the following given information.
Symptoms which suggest that you need Lasik eye surgery:
Not everyone is a good candidate for Lasik eye surgery and you must experience certain symptoms and pass certain qualifications to be able to undergo the process. The following are signs you need to undergo the process:
1. Your cornea thickness and size must not be too thin or small.
2. You must have stable number/power of the eyeglasses for a long
stretch of time before undergoing the surgery.
3. Your vision must be less than perfect to be a suitable candidate for
Lasik eye surgery.
4. You cannot undergo the surgery is you are pregnant.
5. Your pupils must not be too large if you wish to undergo the
RELATED ARTICLE:-Know More About Lukemenia
Pre procedure and preparation
The following are the main steps of preparation and pre procedure that one must undergo before the Lasik eye surgery:
- Before the surgery, the eye doctor will perform a proper eye exam to
make sure that your eyes are healthy and suitable for the operation.
- The shape and thickness of the cornea is evaluated along with the
pupil size and the various refractive errors.
- The moistness of the eyes along with the curvature of the front
surface of the eye is also evaluated and a map of the cornea is made.
- The doctor will ask you to stop wearing contact lenses for a certain
period of time before the surgery as the contacts tend to alter the
natural shape of the cornea.
- Before the surgery, numbing eye drops are applied to your eyes to
avoid any discomfort during the procedure.
The following are the steps that will be followed during the Lasik eye surgery:
- The entire process for one eye takes somewhere around 10 minutes.
- During the procedure, the eyes are positioned under the laser and
using an instrument called the lid speculum, the eyelids are kept in
an open position.
- The doctor or surgeon will then make use of an ink marker to mark the
cornea before the flap is created. Now he will apply a suction ring
to the front of the eye to prevent any eye movements.
- Once the corneal flap is created, a computer is used to adjust the
excimer laser for your particular prescription.
- Then you will be asked to look a target light for a short time while
the doctor watches your eye through a microscope as the laser sends
pulses of light to the cornea.
- The laser light pulses painlessly reshape the cornea. However some
pressure on the eyes is expected at this point.
The following steps take place after the Lasik eye surgery:
- You will be asked to rest for a bit once the Lasik surgery is
completed. You may feel a certain itching and burning sensation after
the procedure. After a brief time or an hour or two, you will be
asked to go home. You will be asked to come with someone who can
drive you home.
- You will take a couple of weeks to completely recover and get
- You will be asked to put certain drops in your eyes for a few days or
weeks to get good results from the operation.
Risks and complications
Every surgical procedure has certain risks and complications associated with it and the same is true with Lasik eye surgery. The following are some risks involved with it:
- One of the main risks involved with Lasik eye surgery is that the
results eventhough are always perfect, some people may not achieve
20/20 vision. Some may also achieve 20/40 vision or even less.
- Some may also need to continue wearing lenses or glasses eventhough
of a lesser correction number after the surgery and this is another
- Some people may have problems with vision for a few weeks after the
surgery and this may create problems.
- You may need to continue using eye drops for a long time to avoid dry
eyes after the surgical procedure.
- Inflammation of the eye, bulging and ingrowth in epithelium are other
The cost of treatment may vary from country to country and even from hospital to hospital. However the average treatment cost of Lasik eye surgery is somewhere between Rs. 25000 to Rs. 45000.
Key global facts
The following are some key global facts about Lasik eye surgery:
1. Lasik eye surgery is painless and this is a fact.
2. Anesthetic eye drops are used to numb the eyes before the surgery
and one feels no discomfort or pain after that.
3. Unlike common misconception, Lasik does not burn the eyes ever.