Breast cancer surgery
Breast cancer surgery is a surgical procedure which is used for the treatment of breast cancer or breast tumour. There are various kinds of breast cancer surgeries and the exact procedure given may depend upon a number of factors including the size of the cancer, size of the breasts, where the cancer is in the breast and the personal choice of the patient. The surgery used just to remove the area of the cancer is called wide local excision or lumpectomy whereas the process used to remove the entire breast is called mastectomy. Sometimes a surgery is also done to restore the shape of the breast and relieve symptoms of an advanced cancer. To know more about breast cancer surgery you can go through the following given information.
Symptoms which suggest that you need Breast cancer surgery:
There are a number of tests which are done to find out whether a patient has breast cancer and the kinds of treatments needed to remove the tumor and they include breast exam, imaging tests like mammography and MRI, and biopsy.
- Some of the symptoms and signs that suggest that you may go for these
tests include pain in armpits or breast that does not go away.Pitting
or redness on the breast is another sign or symptom.one may also
experience a rash around the nipple.
- Discharge from the nipple which can be blood is also a sign that you
may have cancer and that it needs to be removed through surgery.
- Change is appearance of nipple or breast is also a possible sign
along with a sunken or inverted nipple.
Pre procedure and preparation
The following are some steps of preparation that you may have to undergo before the surgery:
1. A number of tests including mammography will be performed before the
surgical procedure can be done.
2. You will be asked to stop taking certain medications before the
3. You may need to be accompanied with someone when you come in for the
surgery as you may need someone to drive you back and stay with you.
Doctors may suggest you not to eat anything few hours before the surgery.
The following are the steps that will be followed during the breast cancer surgery:
1. If you are undergoing breast conserving surgery, then only that part
of the breast where the cancer is present will be removed during the
procedure by experienced surgeons.
2. In case of mastectomy, the entire breast along with some nearby
tissues will be removed.
3. There is another process called radical mastectomy and this is one
which involves removal of the entire breast along with underarm
4. Adjuvant therapy is a therapy which is given along with the surgery
and is used to kill those cancer cells that may have spread. It
begins 2 to 12 weeks after the surgery.
RELATED ARTICLE:-Know More About Prostrate Cancer
The following steps take place after the Breast cancer surgery:
1. Once the surgery is done, you will be asked to stay in the hospital
for a day or several days depending upon the speed of healing.
2. You will be given proper postoperative healing and care to avoid
complications like bleeding, infection and nerve damage
3. Once you are sent home, you will be asked to rest and take certain
precautions for a few days.
4. You will be assessed frequently initially and every 4 months later
by the doctors.
5. Annual mammography and chest radiography may also be suggested.
Risks and complications
There is a possibility that some or several risks and complications may arise after the breast cancer surgical procedure. The following are some of the risks that you may have to encounter:
One of the most common risks involved with breast cancer surgery is the risk of recurrence.
Wound infection is another risk or complication involved with breast cancer surgical process and if this happens, inform the doctor straightaway.
Some people also experience chronic pain which can be a serious complication of breast cancer.
Some of the other complications involved with breast cancer surgery include fibrosis, hematoma, seroma and others.
The cost of breast cancer surgery in India is roughly around Rs. 5 to Rs. 6 lakh. However the entire process including surgery as well as the chemotherapy sessions may cost somewhere around Rs. 20 lakh in total.
Key global facts
The following are some key global facts about Breast cancer surgery:
- Breast cancer is one of the most common cancer types in women across
the world and hence breast cancer surgery too is the most performed
- A study reported in a 2003 issue of the _New England Journal of
Medicine_ found that sentinel node biopsies of a women with small
breast cancers caused fewer side effects (such as swelling, pain and
numbness) than conventional biopsy procedures and was a safe and
accurate way to evaluate lymph nodes in women with small breast
- It is a fact that in general people with smaller tumours have a
better prognosis than patients with larger tumors.
- About 25 to 30 percent of women with breast cancer have an excess of
a protein called HER2, which makes tumors grow quickly.